Accused of a Crime in Williamsburg, VA?
Representing the Accused throughout James City County & Beyond
If you are arrested or even if you simply think you may be under investigation, the first thing you should do is obtain competent legal representation. Regardless of the charges you are facing, law enforcement is not on your side; the prosecution will often seek the maximum allowable penalties. However, under the U.S. Constitution, you have rights, including the right to be presumed innocent unless proven guilty beyond a reasonable doubt.
At Woodmere Law, P.L.L.C., we can work to protect your rights. Our Williamsburg criminal defense attorney has over a decade of legal experience. No matter the charges you are facing, our team can help you navigate the criminal justice system and fight for a favorable outcome.
Contact us online or call (757) 300-0309 for a free, confidential consultation. We are available 24/7 to assist you.
Types of Criminal Cases We Handle
We are adept at building strategic, personalized defenses for a wide variety of criminal charges. In every instance, we work directly with our clients to fully understand their situation and develop strategies aimed at achieving their goals.
At Woodmere Law, P.L.L.C., we handle the following criminal cases and related matters:
- Drug crimes
- Internet crimes
- Juvenile crimes
- Sex crimes
- Traffic tickets and violations
- Domestic violence
- Violent crimes
Whether you were arrested for drunk driving or your loved one has been accused of homicide, our firm is here to provide the professional and reliable legal representation you need. We offer a client-focused, results-driven approach that has helped our Williamsburg criminal defense attorney achieve numerous acquittals and not guilty verdicts. We have also worked to lessen our clients’ sentences and charges or have them dismissed altogether.
What Do Criminal Defense Lawyers Do?
A criminal defense lawyer is a legal professional specializing in defending individuals or organizations accused of committing a crime. Their primary role is to provide legal representation and support to their clients throughout the criminal justice process. Here are some of the main tasks and responsibilities of a criminal defense lawyer:
- Legal Advice: A defense lawyer advises their clients on their legal rights, potential outcomes, and strategies for their defense. They explain the charges, the relevant laws, and the potential consequences of the case.
- Case Assessment: They evaluate the evidence against their client and assess the strengths and weaknesses of the prosecution's case. They conduct a thorough investigation, interview witnesses, review police reports, and gather any other relevant information to build a strong defense strategy.
- Plea Bargaining: Defense lawyers negotiate with prosecutors to reach a plea agreement if it is in their client's best interest. This may involve reducing charges, securing a lighter sentence, or exploring alternative sentencing options.
- Legal Representation: Defense lawyers represent their clients during all court proceedings, including arraignments, bail hearings, pretrial motions, trials, and sentencing hearings. They present arguments, cross-examine witnesses, and challenge the prosecution's evidence to protect their client's rights.
- Building a Defense: Defense lawyers develop a strategy tailored to the case. This may involve challenging the legality of the arrest, questioning the credibility of witnesses, presenting alibi evidence, or raising doubts about the prosecution's evidence.
- Expert Witnesses: When necessary, defense lawyers may consult and hire expert witnesses to provide specialized knowledge or opinions that can support the defense's case. These experts may include forensic scientists, psychologists, or medical professionals.
- Legal Research and Preparation: Criminal defense lawyers conduct extensive legal research to understand relevant statutes, case precedents, and legal strategies that can be applied to their client's defense. They also prepare legal documents such as motions, briefs, and appeals.
- Client Support: Defense lawyers emotionally support their clients throughout the legal process. They listen to their concerns, address their questions, and keep them informed about the progress and developments of their case.
It's important to note that the specific responsibilities of a Williamsburg criminal defense lawyer can vary depending on the nature and complexity of the case!
To learn more about how Woodmere Law, P.L.L.C. can help you with your case, contact us now at (757) 300-0309.
He told me exactly what I needed to do in order to receive the best possible outcome on my court date- Anonymous
You can trust this man to go to bat for you when times get hard and uncertain.- Anonymous
Mr. Freeman made me feel much more relaxed about the charge and helped me a lot!- Brooklin
We were very much impressed and very much appreciative to have Mr. Freeman- Anonymous
I highly recommend him!- Anonymous